Senior Afghan security officials say at least 30 people were killed in an attack on Kabul’s Intercontinental Hotel by Taliban militants, and they warn that the death toll could climb higher.
Wahid Majroh, a spokesman for the Ministry of Public Health, said on January 21 that 19 bodies had been brought to city hospitals. Officials said 14 foreigners were among the dead.
But a senior Afghan security official told the Reuters news agency that the death toll was at least 30, including hotel staff, guests, and members of security forces who battled the assailants. Some local reports said 40 people had been killed.